Tuesday, July 21, 2009

And STILL Getting There....

To get on an overnight jet from California to Australia or Japan... and be there in the morning...ahhh, it's the stuff of dreams of Zach's unit right now.

They are now in DAY EIGHT of transition and travel. Hanging out in one airport or another, living out of duffel bags, waiting, waiting, waiting. Putting on gear, go-time imminent, and getting The Talk, only to be delayed two more days.

Word is that today is the day they finally start the last leg, a two- or three-day trek through different places with their camp the final destination.

Phones are available, but impossible: there are too-few phones for too many people, and your calling card has to work. Zach planned to call his girlfriend at 10:30 last night but couldn't get a phone line for three hours, until 1:30 a.m. Sometimes you can hear what he's saying, and sometimes you can't. Scott called his parents this morning, and the phone line just cut out after about forty seconds.

And yet still, they respond with tremendous patience.

I have decided that my goal this year is to Just Not Complain Any More.

My life is SO friggin' much easier than what they are going through just to get to their base camp, and they are so great about it...using humor to deal with frustration, resting when they can... just managing it.

So for the next several months:

I'm not whining.
I'm not complaining.
I'm not feeling sorry for myself.
I'm going to be cheerful at best, and neutral at worst, and
I'm just going to do what I have to do.

I might talk about it honestly, and say I'm tired, or use humor and joke about it. But beyond that, I'm going to work on developing some more core strength.

We can all use a specific period of time to work on ourselves, or to accomplish a goal.

So...Game On.

No comments:

Post a Comment